This Christmas season, The Hive Collaborative will present a family show, Liken’s “The First Christmas,” like it’s never been seen before. The Christmas movie from the Liken series has long been a favorite of families everywhere, and the 50+ person stage version has been presented by community and church groups all over the world for the past decade. In this new, small-cast version of the show, members of an extended family play nearly all the roles in a special Christmas Eve musical retelling of the first Christmas. When it comes time for the heavenly host choir to join in, that’s when the fun happens as we enlist the aid of our audience, who will be taught their part of the songs under the merry tutelage of the angel Gabriel.
This will be the world premiere of this special small-cast, Heavenly Host Choir sing-along edition of Liken’s “The First Christmas.”
We offer various options for auditioning at The Hive.
- Audition by Appointment: Friday, Sept. 14, 6-10 pm. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an appointment and your availability within that time slot or during the open-call audition on Saturday, Sept. 15, 10 am to 1 pm. We will work to assign you a time within your stated availability. Auditions will be held at The Hive in Provo.
- Open-Call Audition: Saturday, Sept. 15, 10 am to 1 pm at The Hive in Provo.
- Audition by Video: Upload a video of your audition (see audition prep below) to YouTube or similar service as an unlisted video and send a link to email@example.com. Please submit video auditions by noon Saturday, Sept. 15.
What to Prepare
Please be prepared to sing 16 bars from two contrasting pieces. We will not have an accompanist, so please bring a phone/device with the music on it ready to go (we will have a standard adapter to connect from your phone/device’s earphone jack to our sound system) or sing them a cappella. Please also prepare a monologue of up to one-minute. If you prefer, we can provide you sides.
All roles are singing parts and are compensated.
- Gabriel, the angel
- Frank Baylor, grandfather
- Elsie Baylor, grandmother
- Jeanette Baylor, the mom
- Rob Baylor, the dad
- Merilee Winston, college-age daughter
- Devin Winston, college-age son-in-law
- Abbie Baylor, teenage daughter
- Max Baylor, teenage son
The tentative schedule:
- Preview: 11/29
- Opening Night: 11/30
- Then Th, Fr, Sa, Mo nights at 7 pm
- Closing night: Saturday, 12/22
- 14 performances
5-week rehearsal schedule starting 10/29 and running most weeknight evenings (not Halloween) from 7-9 pm and Saturday mornings 10-12 (subject to negotiation, as some directors/casts may elect to make certain rehearsals longer to free up one or more evenings/Saturdays).
Please post any questions below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.